Wintering in your cottage for the first time?
Seasonal residents may be choosing to stay longer and live in their cottage for the first time this winter due to COVID-19. Seguin Fire Department is urging all residents to keep fire safety in mind as they prepare for the winter season.
Access to seasonal vacation homes can be severely limited during the winter months due to snow accumulation as many cottage properties are served by narrow private roads and lane ways. This can slow or limit the response of the fire department in emergency situations. Please ensure that you have a snow removal plan and remember that fire trucks are large vehicles.
Smoke & CO Alarms
Residents should ensure that the home has the correct number of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, and that they are properly located, regularly tested and properly maintained. The Ontario Fire Code requires smoke alarms to be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required outside all sleeping areas if the home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.
Extra care should be taken when dealing with fuel-fired appliances, including fireplaces and wood stoves, as well as natural gas or propane furnaces. Wood-burning stoves and fireplaces should be professionally inspected annually, and the chimneys cleaned regularly. Ashes should be kept outside and away from the home, in a metal container. Exhaust vents for gas furnaces and water heaters need to be kept clear of snow and ice accumulations. A blocked exhaust vent can cause dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide in the home.
Snow and ice events cause power outages during the winter months which make for difficult situations. Plan and be prepared for these events by having food and water for 72 hours readily available; also have lights and batteries ready for those dark nights. If you are equipped with a portable generator ensure that you have fuel for it to run a few days. Generators need to be run away from furnace intakes and away from the building to avoid hot exhaust gases starting fire or carbon monoxide to enter your house.
If you require any other information please call 705-732-4300 and ask for Fire Prevention Officer Patrick Shoebottom.